Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Nokia adds energy saving alerts to phones

Nokia issued a press release today announcing that they are the first mobile phone maker to add energy saving alerts to their devices. These alerts encourage people to unplug their phone charger from the outlet once the phone is fully charged. The release states this could save enough electricity to power 85,000 homes a year. I never really thought much about leaving my chargers plugged in after charging up my devices and with the number of devices I use I could probably save enough energy to power up my home state of Washington so I will try to unplug from now on. The new Nokia alerts will launch on the Nokia 1200, 1208, and 1650 and then be rolled out in all their devices eventually.

Nokia was also awarded an Energy Star last year for their chargers and have set future goals for energy reduction as well.

No comments: